Sunday, July 18, 2004

Christian Books I Don't Mind Selling

As my first week in the world of Christian retail comes to a close, I feel I should at least try to put a positive spin on the industry. While those who love me call me a cynic, especially when it concerns all things related to the Christian subculture, I do believe there are authors, musicians, artists, etc. within this subculture who are doing some good things. Instead of always bashing the pathetic aspects of the culture, I think I'll try highlighting some things I like. (Note: I'll keep bashing the bad things of Christian retail. It's just way too fun.)

I recently read a book by Donald Miller called Blue Like Jazz. I actually loved it. The book is a very easy read. It is very much a stream-of-consciousness account of the author's spiritual journey. It's not a perfect book, but I found myself unwilling to put it down. It was just too honest, and I have to respect that. This book won't change the world, but it could make you realize there are Christians who care about the world. I would recommend it for high school or college students who grew up in the stereotypical whitebread Christian youth group.


7 comments:

Neville said...

no but your wrong ben..the book could change the world ben. if we all got it like that (how the book describes most things) and repeatedly kept getting it...then the world would be changed. i just don't think all of us will. so i guess i do agree with you. the book won't change the world. damn it! i thought i was write there for a second.

Ben said...

I guess I'm rather cynical regarding the idea of the majority of American Christians being willing to change. I do think the current generation of young Christians raised in the church feels jaded and cynical about religion. We would all probably relate to Donald Miller on some level. Maybe this book will be a part of a bigger shift in the thinking of the younger generation of the church. We can only hope. If Blue Like Jazz ends up changing the world, I will gladly eat my words.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ben. This is Julie (the one that used to come to all the Sammy II intermural games back in the day). I totally agree with your thinking that the American Christian subculture often refuses to change. Living in Northern Ireland, a place where even saying what church you go to can make enemies out of new-found friends, I have been confronted with the fact that many of the "Christian" ideas I held as norms are actually not so much Christian as American. Although living with a cynical Christian Guiness-drinker may help. :)

Anonymous said...

haha, wow...
so, i just typed in "cynical christian" on google, and found your site. i like your site. what is very funny to me is the fact that i went to bethel college for my freshman year, 2003-2004. i was more depressed that year than ever in my life, and unsure about whether i even believed in God or not any more (having grown up in a christian elementary school and being very active in youth group and all that through high school). i just got completely burned out while i was at bethel, and felt like no one there understood where i was coming from; i felt like i had no one to talk to.
it's great to find your site, though. haha. wow. ok.
-jessica

ebizpromo said...

Hi Ben,

This is www.tradeweblinks.com. You can use me to increase your link popularity.Even I had some Extra features. You can use that free of cost.

Thanx,
www.tradeweblinks.com

Jennifer/Jaimie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer/Jaimie said...

Comment not removed by the author...

Jessica:

I may be late in saying this, but I had a "most depressing year of my life" when I was thirteen and the church I used to belong to fell apart. That was only three years ago, and while I'm still secure in my faith, I'm not too sure of the thing I used to call my "religion." So I understand where you're coming from, even if I am young.